Sunday, January 4, 2009

Best of 2008


My favorite FO of 2008. My version of the Elizabeth Zimmerman Fair-Isle Yoke Cardi. I had signed up for a 5 week class on it at Churchmouse Yarns and Tea. I was super excited to attend what was going to be my first ever knitting class. However, not enough people signed up and class was scratched. Channelling EZ's can-do spirit and treating myself to a copy of a DVD of her Knitting Glossery, I finished it in 4 weeks.




Yarn : Jamieson's Shetland Double Knitting
Needles : Us 1 and 2
Gauge: 6 Stiches to the Inch
Size: 36 with 1" ease

knit in the round with a crochet steek and garter stitch button band, turned hem with inside facing done in 4ply weight.



I loved loved loved my first experience with true shetland yarn. It was so sproingy and full of memory it was almost like sculpting rather than knitting.

Gushing aside, there are a few things I wish I had done differently. I don't like the way the last round of decreasing pulled the collar in. I wish I had left out the ones closest to the button band. I also did a few more waist shaping rows than I would have liked because I started them too early. This yarn seemed particularly hard to measure almost defying reality and relaxing into the length I was hoping for when I measured. I wish I hadn't been so freaked out about my first ever steek. I ended up crocheting it so tight the inside of it is kind of wavy. I really wished I hadn't stepped on the needle that I stuck into the blocking board not 5 minutes after I had sewn in the last button. It entered my ring to from the blunt end and fractured the bone. My first ever wearing of the sweater was in the ER. Quite Toasty!

Raverly Link

1 comment:

Marjorie said...

That is beautiful, as is your beret. Yo do lovely work.