Friday, July 11, 2008

Summer is for Dishcloths

I'm refusing to make another summer cardigan or tank top this year as I will probably only manage to finish it right before fall hits. It really is too hot at the moment to continue my plan of knitting with wool. So I drug out my box of cotton dishcloth/washcloth yarn from Christmases past and decided to make some ballband dishcloths for my sister-in-law's birthday. After digging through the layers of hemp from the washcloths I gave away last year to the cotton left over from the dishcloths I gave away the year before, I unearthed my favorite tiny calculator I used to keep in my knitting bag before it disappeared. I stood there holding it in my hand trying to fathom why I needed it to knit dishcloths and then I remembered timing my self knitting a couple of rows and then calculating how long each would take me to make multiplied by the number of remaining recipients I had on my list to--shudder--. I really don't want to go through that again this year. Signing up for the year long gift along on Ravelry did nothing to motivate me into starting on this years batch of washcloths early. So I've decided to sign up for the Ravelympics under the Gift Knitting Pentathlon and see if I can crank out a few. My goal is 16 in 17 days.

1 comment:

Cate said...

Hemp washcloths... not a bad idea. I've got half a ball of hemp yarn left over from a previous project, now I know what I can do with it!