Wednesday, January 9, 2008

New Year's resolutions

My New Year's goal, like millions of other people's is to lose weight. Yarn weight that is. After 3 years of knitting under my belt I've come to the realization that justifying a 50% off sale because I can never have enough good basic wool in a sensible color is a complete untruth. I can have too much, and I do. I don't have enough room left in my stash to squeeze in even one skein of something non-basic and non-functional i.e. what I'd actually enjoy knitting up. I know a lot of knitters, including me, are happily existing in a kind of imaginary 2nd life where we can actually complete in all the projects dream about, meanwhile merrily making the necessary purchases like we have all the time in the world. Unfortunately, perhaps because of latent feelings of unworthiness, I have not allowed myself a frivolous fantasy life. Choosing instead to labor under a delusion that I'm eeking out an existence on a windswept Scottish island and need to cloth a family of twelve with sock yarn described but with a single positive attribute: the phrase "wears like iron". The idea of organizing the stash and assigning projects to it so I can check them off like a giant to-do list sort of appeals to my masochistic nose-to-the-grindstone, no-dessert-before-dinner approach to tasks. This is, however, a new year. It's time to loosen up a bit. Actually to be honest I gave up the idea of organizing the stash in Ravelry because I stupidly gave my mother-in-law my Flickr account info and I'm too embarressed to continue taking pictures of it. Perhaps if I renamed the folder "pictures of other peoples yarn" that would fool her?

No comments: